Full House and Short Circuit were looking for a little more and work set out on the EC Ruck promptly at 6:30am while YHC set up the fun surprises that awaited the PAX this morning.* After going over the lay of the land and working out last minute logistics with Forest Gump the rest of our PAX started to show up. Starting slightly behind schedule I welcomed all who came, reminded us all of the mission and gave the disclaimer. I reminded PAX that today was a special day meant to bring awareness of the mental health struggles we all face in life, explained that each part of the beatdown was designed to in some way reflect or provide inside into these struggles. And so, without further gilding the lily, and with no more ado, YHC led everyone in a short mosey so we could start the warm-0-rama.
In honor of today’s subject YHC dropped some knowledge on the PAX which influenced the count for the exercise that followed.
- 19.1% of adult Americans have an anxiety disorder
- 19 SSH (IC)
- 18.4% of adult Americans with mental illness also experienced a substance abuse use disorder in 2019
- 18 monkey humpers (IC)
- Suicide is the 7th leading cause of death amongst males
- 7 Plank jacks (IC)
- The suicide rate is highest among middle-aged white men, who accounted for almost 70% of all suicides in 2017.
- 70 seconds of Mountain Climbers**
- The Shared Burden: YHC explained that in life we all have our mental burdens that effect how we approach each day. Some days those burdens are light and others they can be heavy. For this portion of the Thang all PAX would have a coupon they were to carry during the entirety of the workout. In addition to their individual coupon they would all have to deal with a ruck as well, the good news is each PAX had a partner who would share the burden of ruck, showing that when our burdens reach a certain point we all need someone to help give us some support. ***
- PAX partnered up. First partner put the ruck on and carried their coupon from the field we were in to picnic shelter and did 5 step ups still holding onto their coupon then walked back to the field and switched places/pass the ruck over to their partner.
- Second partner used their coupon to do the below exercises. Exercise count is per partner grouping, so work was shared between both PAX.
- Blockees x 30
- Squats x 100
- OH Press x 100
- Lunges x 100
- When finished PAX were directed to find another man still working and support them.
- Sandbag Brigade: Sometimes relying on one another to get something done can be a challenge, the more we do it though the better we get at supporting one another.
- PAX lined up at top of stairs each man on each stair shoulder-to-shoulder. Man on highest stair passed 60lbs a down to next man, who passes it along the line. Once you hand off object, run down stairs to end of the line to receive object again. Once at bottom of stairs, repeat going back up. Repeated 3 times****
- Pull Ups: Sometimes we are faced with what can seem like an impossible task. We have to make the decision to either struggle on our own and likely fail to complete the task or to reach out to our brothers, ask for help, and work together to accomplish more than we could individually.
- Each PAX had to do 20 pulls ups, when they reached a point where they could no longer complete pull up on their own they asked their partner to spot them.
- O-Faces x 12 (on Forest Gump’s “O”)
- Reverse O-Faces x 12 (on Forest Gump’s “O”)
- Bicycles x 12(IC)
- American Hammers x 12 (IC)
- RANDO 3-21 is live, no one has attempted it yet…get after it men
- Stations of the Cross ruck has been postponed till 2022
- 4/10 1 year anniversary beatdown, will be a good workout with 3 Qs, will have business cards to be used to EH your friends and neighbors
- Coffeeteria, thanks to La Niña for providing the coffee. Ice Man and Dingo brought Hot Cocoa. YHC made heath cookies for a little post workout snack
- Dingo is crushing it in the spelling bee up in Wyoming, already won first place in Laramie County Spelling Bee, competing in Wyoming State Spelling Bee and as of this morning is tied at 2nd place. Will be doing a spell off Monday 3/29.
There was great discussion with men sharing their own mental battles, how they have combated mental struggles in their life, the importance of perspective, and how we can support one another. Great discussion, YHC was really impressed with everyone’s willingness to be open and discuss this important topic from different angles.
Forest Gump took us out in prayer, praying for all men in their mental battle and and that they know that they are not alone and there are men who are there to support them in any way possible, also prayed for Flo’s friend who just had their first son and Ditka’s new niece.
Naked Man Moleskin:
* Special thanks to Ditka and Short Circuit for bringing coupons and for Short Circuit helping to set up prior to heading out on the EC Ruck.
**** Be careful how forceful you hand off the sandbag to your partner. Great mumble chatter during this part of the Thang.
This was a hard workout, I am proud of every man who came out both for the work they put in but more importantly for opening up and discussing this important topic. What makes F3 more than just a workout group is we don’t just focus on physical fitness, but mental and spiritual as well. to be prepare men to lead in their community we have to be more than just guys who work out together and we showed that today. On behalf of Forest Gump and I it was a privilege to lead this morning and an honor to go through the workout and discussion with all you fine men.